Online Birth Registration
B.C. Vital Statistics
Registering your baby's birth and name is an important responsibility; it is the only way to
create a permanent legal record of your child's birth. This online birth registration service
provides a secure and easy way to register your child with the B.C. Vital Statistics Agency.
Electronic Birth Registration System
Registering a B.C. Birth OnlineIn order for a mother or father/parent to be registered as a parent of a child, they must be present during the completion of the birth registration. Each parent must individually certify the registration.
PLEASE NOTE - Online birth registration is not available if your child is over 1 year old. If you cannot register your child online, contact Vital Statistics at:
- 250 952-2681 in Victoria & Outside B.C.; or
- Toll Free at 1 888 876-1633 elsewhere within B.C.
Applying for Services When RegisteringWhen completing a birth registration, you also have the option to:
- Apply for your baby's first birth certificate *
- Enrol your newborn in the Medical Services Plan for B.C. Residents (MSP)
- Apply for your baby's Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Apply for the Canada Child Benefits (CCB) - NOTE: Mother's SIN required
(Birth certificates for newborns cannot be issued until the birth registration is submitted, and Vital Statistics receives the Notice of Birth from the hospital.)
Fees for Birth Certificates
- Birth Certificate with Parental Information - $27.00 each
- Birth Certificate with Individual Information Only - $27.00 each
- Birth Commemoratives (not for use as official identification) - $50.00 each